Saturday, May 16, 2009

An Angel' Story Contest: week two

Name: Ava
Gender: Female
Title : my bestie my angel

Story:

Looking up to the sky, I smiled widely. Ahh, it's been so long since I felt so good. The sun's rays fell gently unto my beige-coloured skin. I closed my eyes, felt the strands of hair on my face as the sea breeze blew, listening to the waves crashing the shore. What a beautiful day it is, I said to myself softly.

I finally let it all go. Loving him was pain; missing him was torture; him leaving me was despair. Pain, torture and despair. They are no longer the words that would exist in my life ever again. My life would be a new beginning from now on. Before I strapped an anchor around the chest of memories, I looked once more at the memory bubbles. Each bubble categorised with happy moments, arguing moments, sad moments, warm hugs, lingering kisses etc. There was one bubble that I stared at for a long time. It was the Vday bubble; the day we broke up. I was lying on his chest, feeling his heartbeat going thump thump thump so steadily; the melody was my lullaby. As I almost lulled into sleep, he mentioned the taboo word. I pretended to be asleep and held back my tears. He knew me too well; shaking me gently, he continued talking about how things were not going to work out between us as he was leaving for Melbourne soon. I couldn't hold back the tears that were welling in my eyes any longer, and stream after stream came flowing down my face. That was the last night I held him and also the last day I met him. Time flew by so fast but the excruciating scar he left on me never healed. It just remained fresh. The gluttonous appetite I once had was gone. The cheekiness and craps in my speech disappeared. The face lost the cheerfulness and radiance that it once had.

Then, she couldn't take it any longer she had to step in. She knew me for 10 years and couldn't stand watching her bestie drowning in sorrow for months. She spent most of her time with me. No matter how busy she was, she came to visit me everyday. She made sure I ate my dinner, she made sure I did my tutorials, she made sure I went to class by checking on me every 3 hours. It was annoying at first but eventually I understood her. She wanted the bubbly girl as a bestie, not a moody one. She yearned for the one who was daring enough to walk up to a guy and ask for his number just because she was dared to do so. She wanted me to look forward, not to turn back. The attention and care and love she showered me was enough to make me remorse for worrying those who loved me. She jolted me back to reality. The world has not come to an end yet. There's still a long way to go.

After reminiscing, I placed the bubble back into the chest. Locked it up and strapped the anchor on so tight that the chest couldn't be opened up. I threw the chest with all my might into the sea. The 3 years memories of me and him together would just rest at the bottom of the ocean in my heart.

I felt a sudden coldness on my left cheek. Startled, I looked up at her. She was giggling and smiling at the same time. The best, refreshing smile I've ever seen. She threw me the can of Coke Light. She sat down beside me and we just started talking; just like how we used to be. From boys to fashion to gossips to Daniel Wu. Ahhh, ain't Daniel Wu just gorgeous. The hunkiest of the hunkiest and how his eyes could just cut through your skin and pierce your heart so deeply that your heart would just stop beating for a mere second....and we went on and on and on...

Thank you Sammie for being my angel, the one who sacrificed her phone bills and taxi fares just for me. The one who stood by me during the darkest period of my life. The one that never gave up hope on me. You would never know how much I appreciate everything. It has been 10 years since we forged this friendship and it is not going to stop here, it will go on for eternity. Just like how you stood by me, I will stand by you forever. Through thick or thin, I will always be there for you. If you are my angel, I shall be yours too.

No comments:

Post a Comment